Looking For A Less Expensive Way To Get Textbooks?
Save money by renting. We carry over 1000 rentals in-store and thousands are available online.
- In-store: Over 1000 textbooks are available for rent in the Hawk Shop. Use our textbook look up tool to see if your books are available for rent.
- Online: Find even more rental textbooks through our affiliate site (hawkshop.bookrenterstore.com/).
Textbook Rental Return Dates
Last Date to Return Rental Textbooks: Varies depending on length of rental term. Please refer to receipt for rental due date. Spring semester rental textbooks may be returned to the Iowa Hawk Shop location in the Old Capitol Town Centre until May 22. After that date, rental textbooks must be sent directly back to Bookrenter.com - return shipping is free, and shipping materials can be provided by the Iowa Hawk Shop free of charge.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does the online rental option work?
- Can I get a refund on a rented textbook if I decide I don't want it or drop the class?
- Why aren't some books available for rent?
- What if I forget to return the book at the end of the semester?
- Can I turn in my rental book when I return for the following semester?
- What if my book was lost/stolen/damaged beyond normal wear?
- Are rental books used or new?
- Can I rent a book for multiple semesters?
- Can someone else return my books for me?
Q. How does the online rental option work?
We've partnered with an online provider to ensure students have access to thousands of rental titles. Once you're on the affiliate site, follow the steps to rent your textbook. Payment is made through the affiliate site. Books will be shipped directly to you with no charge for standard service. At the end of the semester, you can either return your rental title to University Book Store, or ship it directly (at no charge) to the provider.
Q. Can I get a refund on a rented textbook if I decide I don't want it or drop the class?
A: Yes, refunds for textbooks rented in-store will be treated like refunds for purchased textbooks so our standard return policy will apply. All returns must be in good condition and be accompanied with the receipt.
Q. Why aren't some books available for rent?
Unfortunately, not all textbooks qualify for the rental program. We are constantly working to expand the selection of rentals.
Q. What if I forget to return the book at the end of the semester?
A: You will be charged the replacement price of the rental textbook as listed on the sales receipt.
Q. Can I turn in my rental book when I return for the following semester?
A: No. You will still be charged the replacement price of the rental textbook as listed on the sales receipt when you rented your textbook.
Q. What if my book was lost/stolen/damaged beyond normal wear?
A: There are a few options:
- You can come into the store and pay the difference between the rental and replacement costs.
- If you choose to do nothing, you will be charged the replacement fee.
Q. Are rental books used or new?
A: They may be either but the rental price is the same in both cases.
Q. Can I rent a book for multiple semesters?
A: No, you must return rental books at the end of each semester. The cost of renting a book for two semesters is generally higher than purchasing a used book.
Q. Can someone else return my books for me?
A: No, you'll need to return your own rental books.